139 Indians released from Russian military, Centre tells Supreme Court
Join our WhatsApp Community to receive travel deals, free stays, and special offers!
- Join Now -
Join our WhatsApp Community to receive travel deals, free stays, and special offers!
- Join Now -

The Union government told the Supreme Court on Friday that 217 Indian nationals had joined the Russian military during the war in Ukraine, of whom 139 have been released from their contractual agreements, The Hindu reported.
Additional Solicitor General Aishwarya Bhati told a bench headed by Chief Justice Surya Kant that 49 of the 217 Indians had died in the conflict. Six were confirmed missing, she added.
Bhati also said that of the 26 Indians whose families had moved the court seeking their safe return from Russia, 14 were dead, 11 missing and one incarcerated for a criminal offence, the newspaper reported.
The mortal remains of eight persons had been returned to their families, the additional solicitor general said.
However, the counsel for the families asked how the mortal remains had been identified, saying that they were beyond recognition. In response, Bhati told the court that the Union government was extending support for the collection of DNA samples from family members to help identify them.
Russia began its invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, triggering the deadliest conflict in Europe since World War II.
Amid the war, the external affairs ministry has repeatedly issued advisories warning Indian citizens against joining the Russian military. New Delhi contends that many are duped by unscrupulous agents and are often hired as...
Read more
What's Your Reaction?
Like
0
Dislike
0
Love
0
Funny
0
Angry
0
Sad
0
Wow
0

